Virginia Federal Healthcare Fraud Lawyer
With increased attention on health care spending and waste, the federal government is scrutinizing Medicare and other health care billing in an attempt to weed out fraud. If you are accused of wrongdoing, call a Virginia federal healthcare fraud lawyer to build a strong defense against the allegations. A federal attorney in Virginia is available to discuss your case and help you develop the strongest possible defense.
Finding a Federal Health Care Fraud Lawyer in Virginia
No one expects to be indicted for a federal crime. It can be intimidating to come under investigation for health care fraud, especially when investigators come from specialized federal agencies like the FBI, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General (HHS-OIG), and the Health Care Fraud Prevention and Enforcement Action Team (HEAT).
Our Virginia federal health care fraud lawyers are not afraid of the challenge of taking on federal prosecutors. We are committed to providing the best possible defense against federal fraud charges and to protecting your rights every step of the way by taking actions such as:
- Communicating with you throughout your case to keep you informed and updated and to answer any questions you may have
- Holding investigators accountable for appropriate procedure and working to suppress illegally obtained evidence
- Providing legal counsel that helps you make informed decisions about your case
- Preparing you for court appearances to ease your mind and help you present yourself to the court in a manner that benefits you
- Working diligently for the best outcome, whether through fighting for a dismissal of inappropriate charges, negotiating a beneficial plea agreement, or zealously fighting for acquittal at trial
You are likely concerned about the allegations against you; however, finding a Virginia federal health care fraud attorney to handle your defense can ease your mind and give you confidence during a challenging time.
What is Federal Health Care Fraud?
Federal law prohibits any attempt to “defraud any health care benefit program” in 18 U.S. Code 1347. These attempts to defraud can take many forms:
- Using someone else’s Medicare card to get health care services
- Concealing or falsifying information to get Medicare benefits
- Upcoding, or billing the health care program for a higher level of services than those actually provided
- Unbundling, or using multiple billing codes to bill for procedures that are usually performed together under a single code
- Accepting kickbacks for referrals
- Billing for unnecessary procedures
- Billing for procedures, services, or equipment not actually provided to the patient
- Medical identity theft
Federal health care fraud is a felony. In general, conviction brings a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.
Other federal laws which relate to health care fraud include the following:
- Anti-Kickback Statute – 42 U.S.C. 1320a–7b(b)
- False Claims Act – 31 U.S.C. 3729–3733
- Physician Self-Referral Law – 42 U.S.C. 1395nn
Your Virginia federal health care fraud lawyer can help you understand what exactly prosecutors have alleged against you and any possible consequences you face. At a free consultation, a federal defense lawyer can begin explaining possible solutions.
Call to Speak with a Virginia Federal Health Care Fraud Attorney
Contact us today for a confidential, risk-free case review with a federal health care fraud lawyer in Virginia.